Survival Guide: Summer at the FL Theme Parks
There have been a lot of reports lately from park-goers seeing others fainting and experiencing the effects the Florida heat and humidity can have on your body. So let’s talk about the best way to ensure your summer theme park visits don’t end up with someone getting sick or sunburned!
The best way to ensure an enjoyable vacation is to begin hydrating first thing in the morning! I like to start my day with a Liquid IV and have another sometime after lunch with plenty of water all day long! Finding shade and simply allowing yourself to cool down when you’re feeling too hot can make all the difference, but the key here is to listen to your body! Don’t forget that athletic type clothing and breathable fabrics will be your best friend while spending so much time outside.
Even though we know that heat and humidity are non-negotiable, I can 99.9% guarantee you will also encounter an afternoon (if not dodging them all day) rain shower or thunderstorm. The heat brings in all the rain and it’s best to be prepared instead of trying to make a run for it! Wear sensible shoes that you don’t mind getting wet because at least for the Disney parks puddles are inevitable.
Here is a list of items that I recommend you absolutely have in your park bag for summer days:
- Personal Fan
- Liquid IV or something similar
- Refillable water bottle (free ice water is available at all quick service locations at Disney and at the Coke Freestyle stations at Universal)
- Cooling towel
- Baseball cap or hat
- SPF chapstick
- Emergency poncho (can get these pretty cheap on Amazon and you just throw it away after using it and don’t need to carry it around and doesn’t hold in heat like a rain coat)
- A stroller cover for those with littles makes all the difference! No one wants to exit a ride and find a soaking wet stroller to put their littles back into…
- Compact umbrella (don’t forget to take this out of your bag when going through security at Disney parks)
I think that about covers it! Stay hydrated and have the best time at the theme parks this summer! Let us know in the comments what your summer “must-have” items are while in the parks!