I did this privately guided tour in Disney’s Animal Kingdom last year and I’m planning to go on it again this year. I had a lot of fun walking along the grassland paths and crossing the rope bridge, as well as a closer experience with giraffes, rhinos, hippos and crocodiles. The tour guides who were with us were really knowledgeable about the animals we encountered as well as answering questions we had. They also gave us details about Disney’s dedication to animal conservation.
The tour was 3 hours long and you get around the savannah in a private safari vehicle. It is $199 (plus tax) per person and is part of the Enchanting Extras Collection in Walt Disney World. We did a lot of stops, compared to being on the Kilmanjaro Safari vehicle, which gave us a lot of opportunities to take videos and photos of the animals living in the Safi River Valley. Our guide, who is also a trained photographer, took pictures of us (included in the price of the tour) while on this Trek.
The tour also includes a gourmet style African-inspired snacks which includes (subject to change without notice) garlic and leek hummus and pita, prosciutto and mozzarella, olive mix, fresh fruit, chicken wrap, marinated tandoori shrimp and POG (pineapple-orange-guava) juice.
Per Walt Disney World’s website, make sure to always view important information before going on the Wild Africa Trek. Check out these physical requirements, recommended attire, amenities and more:
- WARNING: For your safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure; heart, back or neck problems; motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not participate.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult (18 years of age or older).
- Participants must be 8 years of age or older and at least 48 inches (122 cm) tall.
- Participants must be between 45 and 300 lbs. with the harness gear on. The safety harnesses used for this experience may prohibit Guests of certain body shapes or sizes from participating.
- You must have physical stamina, comfort with heights, and the surefootedness to negotiate small hills, foliage and unsteady rope bridges on this tour. Guests seeking a less strenuous or wheelchair-accessible trek should contact Wild Africa Trek operations at (407) 938-1373 for alternative programs.
- Recommended attire includes shorts or pants and a comfortable shirt. Closed-toe shoes with a back strap or hiking boots are required. No flip-flops will be allowed. Skirts or dresses are not recommended.
- Complimentary lockers for your belongings will be provided. You will also receive a safety vest and wireless headset so that you can hear your guide at all times. Cameras are allowed as long as they can be securely fastened to the vest.
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to the start of the experience at the Curiosity Animal Tours kiosk, located across from the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction entrance. Late arrivals may not be able to join the experience.
- Excursion occurs rain or shine, with the exception of severe weather or lightning.
- Tour itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice.
- You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
Have you ever done an Enchanting Extra during your Walt Disney World vacation?